Dan Goodman, AICP, LEED AP returns to Toole Design as Director of Planning for the Mid-Atlantic Region after five years leading the bicycle and pedestrian program for the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). With nearly two decades of experience in policy development, land-use planning, and urban design experience, as well as a wealth of knowledge on national best practices, Dan will lead our east coast planning work from the company’s Silver Spring, MD headquarters. Dan served as a Senior Planner at TDG from 2007 to 2013.
“We are so pleased to welcome Dan back to the team,” said Jennifer Toole, President. “He and his colleagues at FHWA produced an incredible body of work in the past five years, and I know he’s eager to bring that experience to benefit our clients and colleagues. I look forward to working with him in this new leadership role.”
During his time at FHWA, Dan led the development and release of numerous groundbreaking reports and guidance documents. These tools continue to provide communities across the U.S. with the thorough, well-researched guidance and policy needed to plan and design transportation solutions for people who walk, bike, take transit, and drive.
Selected works from Dan’s time at FHWA include:
- Separated Bike Lane Planning and Design Guide (2015)
- Incorporating On-Road Bicycle Networks into Resurfacing Projects (2015)
- Guidebook for Developing Pedestrian and Bicycle Performance Measures (2016)
- FHWA Strategic Agenda for Pedestrian and Bicycle Transportation (2016)
- Achieving Multimodal Networks (2016)
- Small Town and Rural Multimodal Networks Guide (2016)
- Bike Network Mapping Idea Book (2016)
- Incorporating Qualitative Data in the Planning Process: Improving Project Delivery and Outcomes (2017)
- Measuring Multimodal Network Connectivity (2018)
“Dan’s work at FHWA improved multimodal transportation guidance and transformed how our industry approaches safe, connected facilities for people who walk, bike and drive,” said Alia Anderson, AICP, Director of Planning, North America. “His extensive knowledge of national best practices, combined with his previous experience in the mid-Atlantic make him uniquely prepared to lead our planning practice in the region.”
Dan can be reached via email at email@example.com or by phone at 301-927-1900, x 118.